Friday, May 15, 2009

5 Podcasts That Keep Me Company

I listen to podcasts while I cook, garden, walk, commute, and travel. They keep me company, and they keep me they informed.

Although podcasts haven't reached the same popularity as blogs and online video, their audience is increasing. According to Podcasting News, a recent Edison Research report found that podcast audiences are up 22% since last year.

Five shows I listen to fairly regularly are:

501c3Cast with Corey Pudhorodsky
Corey's shows are a great resource for nonprofit professionals, and anyone interested in nonprofits and social change. He starts most shows with a few minutes of news from the nonprofit and philanthropic sector, and then transitions into an interview. During most interviews, he ask his guest if they have a quote, saying or mantra that keeps them going. I recommend you listen to his December 22, 2008 show where he created a montage of his favorite quotes from guests.
Listen/subscribe on iTunes.

Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett
American Public Media's, Speaking of Faith, is a public radio show which is also available via podcast. Interview topics range from religion, to ethics, to spirituality. I've been enjoying the interviews in their relatively new, "Repossessing Virtue," series where they, "search for fresh ways to think and talk about the current economic crisis."
Listen/subscribe on iTunes

Tranquility du jour with Kimberly Wilson
Kimberly Wilson, author of Hip Tranquil Chick: A Guide to Life On and Off the Yoga Mat, interviews artists, creative entrepreneurs, yoga teachers, and other hip tranquil chicks. I particularly liked her January 25, 2009 interview with Leigh Standley, creator of Curly Girl Design (maybe that's because I am a curly girl myself!).
Listen/subscribe on iTunes.


UNICEF Podcast
I mentioned in my post on Wednesday that I've had to cut back on some of my donations this year, but UNICEF is one of the organizations I'm still giving regularly to. The shows are usually brief, as short as three minutes, and focused on news from the field as reported by UNICEF correspondents. They often interview children as sources for their stories. Some shows feature young "digital diarists" sharing their opinions and ideas.
Listen/subscribe on iTunes.

Voices on Genocide Prevention by the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
I realize that listening to interviews about genocide and human rights isn't everyone's idea of background sound while making dinner, but because I'm interested in these issues, I appreciate having a place where I can find the niche news I'm looking for. The blog, that goes with the podcast, also has links to transcripts of each show.
Listen/subscribe on iTunes

If you want to find podcasts to keep you company, search on the iTunes Music Store, or on one of BlogTalkRadio's Top 5 Podcast Directories.

Bookmark and Share

Cross-posted from BlogHer.com

Britt Bravo is a Big Vision Consultant who produces the Big Vision Podcast and Arts and Healing Podcast, and who hosts Echoing Green's Be Bold Podcast.





6 comments:

  1. Will C12:54 AM

    I'm a big fan of the Moth podcast, particularly because I can also augment it by seeing it live in my city (@ the StorySlams)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. I didn't realize The Moth had a podcast. Thanks, Will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Moth podcast.hope year by year podcast audiences will increase..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Thought you might enjoy this fun quiz.

    http://www.humanitarianiq.com/

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Britt (and everyone else i reading), I think a good podcast about fundraising and nonprofit is http://www.fundraisingisbeautiful.com/

    Hope you'll enjoy too!

    Alberto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link, Alberto!

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact