Friday, October 29, 2010

I Love My Hair: Have Fun, Do Good Friday Video

This week's Have Fun, Do Good Friday Video is the I Love My Hair song from Sesame Street.  According to NPR's story about the song's origins, 'I Love My Hair': A Father's Tribute to His Daughter, Joey Mazzarino wrote the song for his 5-year-old daughter, who he and his wife adopted from Ethiopia, when they noticed, "She wanted to have long blond hair and straight hair, and she wanted to be able to bounce it around."

As of this writing, the video has been viewed on YouTube 1,040,810 times!  Although it of course has special meaning for African American women, I think it also resonates with all women who learned as girls that how they looked was not OK.  As someone who was teased a lot for having weird/frizzy/big/Roseannadanna/didyoustickyourfingerinalightsocket hair as a little girl, I wish I'd had this song to sing.

Yay to Sesame Street for creating this empowering message for girls.




You can see more Have Fun, Do Good Friday videos here.

Bookmark and Share




Share

2 comments:

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact