Monday, September 19, 2011

Meatless Monday: Marinated Tomato Sauce, Spinach Salad, Banana-Mango "Ice Cream," and Gingery Miso-Spinach Soup

Meatless Monday is a nonprofit initiative of The Monday Campaigns. Their goal is to help reduce meat consumption by 15% to improve personal and planetary health.  Each week I share meatless recipes I've tried from cookbooks and online.  You can see past Meatless Monday posts by clicking here.



Penne with Marinated Tomato Sauce

I've been making this Marinated Tomato Sauce recipe from Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest for 20+ years!  I've never met anyone who didn't love it.  You can view the recipe on Mollie Katzen's website. The version I use (a dot-matrix print out from when I typed up the recipe from my friend Wendy's cookbook) is a little different.  Mine calls for 3 large tomatoes, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/2 pound of mozzarella cheese, and no vinegar.



Baby Spinach, Avocado and Pumpkin Seed Salad

A quick and yummy dish from the fabulous Nigella Lawson. With only 6 ingredients (spinach, avocado, pumpkin seeds, olive oil, lime and salt) it's a snap to make when you don't have a lot of time.  Again, I've never met anyone who didn't love this salad. You can view the recipe on the foodnetwork.com, or watch Nigella make it on YouTube.



Banana Mango "Ice Cream"

In July, I wrote about discovering banana "ice cream" where you basically throw frozen bananas into your food processor and it makes an incredibly creamy, ice cream-like dessert.  Since then, I've come across a similar, but even more delicious recipe for Banana Mango Ice Cream in Chocolate Cups.  Although I didn't make that recipe, it did inspire me to combine in the food processor frozen banana + frozen mango + a little vanilla extract + a little soy milk.  Yum, yum, yum.

 
 Gingery Miso-Spinach Soup with Baby Corn and Tofu
We had one cool day in the Bay Area last week, and I got all excited to start making my favorite soup recipes from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas.  This is also a pretty quick recipe.  I couldn't find a copy online to share with you, so you'll have to buy the cookbook, or check it out from your local library (a great way to test cookbooks before buying them!).

What yummy meatless dishes did you make last week, or do you want to make this week?
Bookmark and Share
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact