Saturday, June 07, 2014

Color = happiness


A few years ago, I had a vivid dream that I went into a dark therapist's office to meet with my client, Cameron Diaz. She wanted to know the secret to happiness, so I told her:

  • Cook
  • Connect 
  • Care
  • Color

I've heard that all of the characters in your dreams are aspects of yourself, so I've thought a lot over the years about my advice to the "Cameron Diaz" aspect of myself.


Cooking, connecting and caring made sense, but I didn't fully understand the color part until last week when I joined Andrea Sher's e-course: Collecting Color: 30 Days of Photo Joy. I'm having so much fun!


Each day, for thirty days, she sends out a photo prompt (e.g. take a photo of a flower, color at your feet, a splash of red). I take 1-5 photos based on the prompt, and upload them to the course's Flickr group. It's self-paced, so I can do as little, or as much as I want, whenever I want.


 

Walking around each day on a "treasure hunt" for color has helped me to see beauty in the everyday. I took all of the photos in this post walking on the not always pretty streets of Oakland. When I look at them, I feel like I live in a magical land full of luscious flowers, yellow brick roads, and luminous symbols.


Last week, I wrote about the healing powers of different things. I think color should be added to the list. Turns out there is actually something called color therapy or chromotheraphy. Who knew? (OK, probably a lot of people knew, but not me).


I now understand what my dream was trying to tell me. Color matters: in my home, my clothes, my food, my environment. Everything. It is one of the keys to happiness.


How can you add more color into your life this week?

 

P.S. I think registration for Collecting Color is still open, if you wanna join me!

5 comments:

  1. What an inspirational post! I think it's human nature to get in a rut sometimes and not to challenge yourself enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these vibrant colours - really wakes me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pictures! I agree with Cynthia. We can always find something unique in the mundane if we look hard enough. BTW I took a professional dress class a long time ago and remember hearing that green is a healing color, blue is a soothing or calming color, red is a power color, yellow is a quick stimulator but short lived, etc... I thought it was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am Lenay Phillipps, I saw your blog post, I have very enjoyed it wonderful information in the blog post I liked it, I have a blog it’s a natural weight related blog Dick and Lenay will see everyone and will learn how to resolve your weight loss problem Dick and Lenay that should be we are providing weight loss solutions through organic food and natural supplements !
    Following More -
    natural weight loss , lose weight , weight loss , diet , natural supplements

    ReplyDelete
  5. : ) what a great way to summarize happiness! and the colour! yes!

    (one winter, I spent some time capturing the colour I found in the city - even in what people were wearing - really needed in during those cold drab months!)

    those flowers are lovely - but I really like how you find colour in urban street paint also - what a vibrant yellow! : )

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact