Sometimes I think that how I volunteer, or give back has to be BIG and dramatic, like going on an international volunteer vacation, fundraising thousands of dollars, or starting a nonprofit. Anyone else feel that way?
Thing is, if I'm honest with myself, I know that the most sustainable way for me to
make the world a better place is by using skills I love, like writing and teaching, which can be quiet work. Yesterday I brainstormed a list of ways writers can create positive change:
- Volunteer as a copywriter, or grant writer for a nonprofit.
- Write a story for your community newspaper, or blog.
- Write a novel, play, poem, essay, blog post, or article about a cause, issue, inspiring changemaker, or movement.
- Be a mentor, or teacher to other writers.
- Write an op-ed.
- Write your Congressperson.
- Write a letter for Amnesty International.
Flickr photo credit: Vintage Underwood Number 5 Manual Typewriter by Michael Dolan.