As we head into the darkest day of the year I'm trying to remember that so often, "both are true."
- This is a time of year for rest and solitude and of celebration and company.
- The holidays are a time of fun and of sadness.
- It is OK to feel gratitude and grief.
- There are a lot of good and bad things going on in the world right now.
- Person/corporation/political party x is harmful and helpful.
- Others do and don't need my help.
- I help others for selfish and unselfish reasons.
- I am perfect and imperfect just how I am.
As someone who tends towards a right/wrong, black/white, good/bad way of looking at the world, I think practicing "both are true" will give me comfort in difficult situations, and perspective in joyful ones.
Is there a "both are true" situation, or belief you want to hold for yourself during this holiday season, or in the New Year?
Hat tip to Adrienne Torf for helping me to really understand this idea.