Just got back from a weekend away celebrating my grandma's birthday. Doesn't she look great? I would tell you how old she is, but we're not allowed. I can tell you that her oldest daughter, my mom, is going to be 64 this year, so you can take it from there . . .
How does my Gram stay looking so fabu?
- Positive attitude! Nothing gets this lady down.
- Help out/focus on other people. She's always making someone dinner, or driving a friend to a doctor's appointment.
- Be social. Don't isolate. Even though a lot of her friends have passed away, or are sick, my Gram is always joining new clubs and classes, and getting together with people.
- Lotion, lotion, lotion!
- Suntan lotion, suntan lotion, suntan lotion!
- Exercise. She still lifts weights and walks on the treadmill.
- Learn/try new things. We got her a computer several years ago, and she emails and instant messages with the family like a pro, even though she's never used a computer before. This weekend we got her hooked up on Netflix.
- Don't tell anyone your age. If they want to think you are ten years younger than you are, so be it.
- Refer to other people as "old people" (e.g. you have to watch out for "old people" when you drive).
- Keep the romance alive. You're never too old for love. While we were at a restaurant for her birthday brunch, another man eating at the restaurant came over to check out the birthday cake we'd ordered for her. When she told him that she was going to take home the leftovers he said, "You can take me with you"!
Happy Birthday, Gram!