Friday, August 15, 2008

What Changemaker Authors Have Blogs?

I'm speaking tomorrow at the Writing for Change Conference in San Francisco about "Changeblogging: How to Create Positive Change With Your Blog." The conference is for nonfiction writers who want to write books that will create positive change, "from the personal to the planetary."

I've been creating a list of changemaker authors who have blogs. The blogs could have been created as a platform for a particular book, evolved into a book, or simply be a part of the author's overall web presence.

I'd love to hear your suggestions for changemaker authors who have blogs. I know I'm missing a lot of people. My list is rather heavy on "green" topics. I'd like to see examples from other fields like politics, culture, business, technology, spirituality, health, nutrition and personal development.

Here is the sampler I've got so far:

Blog: 100 Mile Diet Series on The Tyee
Book: Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally by Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon

Blog: WorldChanging
Book: WorldChanging: A User's Guide to the 21st Century by Alex Steffen

Blog: Gristmill
Book: Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day by Grist Magazine

Blog: Katya's Nonprofit Marketing Blog
Book: Robin Hood Marketing: Stealing Corporate Savvy to Sell Just Causes by Katya Andresen

Blog: Big Green Purse Blog
Book: Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World by Diane MacEachern

Blog: getcha grub on
Book: Grub: Ideas for an Urban Organic Kitchen by Anna Lappe and Bryant Terry

Blog: Take a Bit Out of Climate Change
Book: Eat the Sky (Fall 2009) by Anna Lappe

Blog: ecosoul
Book: Organic Soul by Bryant Terry (2009)

Blog: Barbara's Blog
Books: Barbara Ehrenreich has written so many important books, there isn't space to list them all. Her most popular is probably Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America






7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Hey, Britt, just found your blog and think it's awesome! I work for a San Francisco nonprofit called YouthNoise, which engages young people in social activism. We're working on a campaign right now called Play City that uses sport for social change. Check it out: http://www.youthnoise.com/playcity/blog. Of course, we'd love it if you talked about us tomorrow or any time :) Let me know what you think, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Nedra Weinreich, blog: Spare Change and book: Hands on Social Marketing

    I'll try to think of some more. I want to say there's many others out there....the names just surpass me right now. Phelps mania is taking over, =) (just watched his final medla win for 08!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:41 PM

    Sorry this is late but Julia Molden (at Huffpo, like you!) and author of The New Radicals:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-moulden/#blogger_bio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gillian - I'm familiar with YourNoise's work. Great stuff! I work with Erin Denny at TechSoup.

    Alex - I've been reading Nedra's blog for a long time, but had no ideas she wrote a book. Thanks!

    Celeste - I've never heard of The New Radicalsor Julia Moulden. I'll have to check out her blog and book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:55 PM

    Oh, awesome. Thanks! Say "hi" to Erin for me. Looking forward to following your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:30 AM

    Great list! Here's another:

    Jeff Chang

    Blog: http://www.cantstopwontstop.com/blog/index.cfm

    Book: Can't Stop Won't Stop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Joanna. Looks like a cool book too.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact