Some of the elements of the Act are:
- Build on the AmeriCorps and create new "Corps" focused on areas of national need. Ask 175,000 Americans to give a year of service through these Corps.
- Improve opportunities for low income young people to be of service in their communities.
- Establish a tax incentive for employers who allow employees to take paid leave for full-time service.
- Enhance incentives for retirees to give a year of service through the Corps, and establish "Encore Fellowships" to help retirees who wish to transition to longer-term public service.
- Establish a "Volunteer Generation Fund" to help nonprofit organizations recruit and manage more volunteers.
- Establish a Commission to study and improve how the federal government, nonprofits, and the private sector work together to meet national challenges effectively.
- Establish a network of "Community Solution Funds," venture capital funds for the nonprofit sector to support innovation in the sector.
- Support short-term international service opportunities and strengthen the Volunteers for Prosperity program, which supports short-term international service opportunities.