Friday, December 10, 2010

Community, Beauty, Party, Wisdom: More Reverb 10 Reflections

As I mentioned on Monday, I'm participating in Reverb 10 this month, an online project that provides daily prompts to help you reflect on the past year, and the year ahead.  Below are my quick answers to the rest of this week's questions.  Feel free to share your answers in the comments.

The first book we read
December 7: Community
Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Prompt by Cali Harris).

This year I organized a virtual "social changey" book club with some of the BlogHer Contributing Editors, which has been wonderful I've read some tough books, like Half the Sky, that I might have not made it through if I hadn't know that they were reading them too, and because they're all smartypants, I always learn something, or gain a new perspective from our conversations.

A community I would like to join/create in 2011 is a co-working/office space with other creative women entrepreneurs.

On our Hawaii honeymoon
December 8: Beautifully Different
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
(Prompt by Karen Walrond).

What comes to mind is that when I'm happy, or excited about something, I get very animated and loud, wave my hands around, and will literally jump and dance around.

I can be very childlike. I love cupcakes (all desserts, really) and have a collection of cupcake holders, containers, trees and cookbooks.  I like funny stuffed monsters, anthropomorphized objects (like my Alessi egg cup) and anthropomorphized food (like the book, Food Play).  I love making things and to laugh with my hubs while watching funny TV shows like Psych, Modern Family, The Office, The Daily Show, and 30 Rock.  Basically, I require a lot of fun, play and silliness in my life.

December 9: Party

What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans. (Prompt by Shauna Reid).

WEA Directors, Melinda and Amira
Women's Earth Alliance puts on wonderful Weaving the World events that, although they are educational, and essentially fundraisers, feel like parties.  I went to two this year: one in March about their Women and Water program, and one in November about their Women and Land Program, where Winona LaDuke spoke (so cool).  There was music, good food (by our wedding caterer, Back to Earth), and interesting folks to chat with.  The ladies at WEA really know how to have fun and do good (:  If you missed it, I interviewed WEA's co-Directors Melinda Kramer and Amira Diamond in May.

December 10: Wisdom 
What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out? (Prompt by Susannah Conway).

In November, after a long stretch of the blues (something I've always struggled with), I started meditating.  I've always hated meditation because all that counting and breathing makes me feel more anxious than relaxed.  Then, I picked up Sharon Salzburg's book, Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness, and everything changed.   I just love that her way of meditating focuses on feelings of lovingkindness, rather than counting, or watching your thoughts float by (I'm sorry, but mine never floated.  They always get stuck in traffic).

I haven't finished the book yet, but the most profound learning I've taken from it is that you have to start by feeling lovingkindness for yourself before you can focus on feeling it for others.  For whatever reason, it has *really* brought home to me that you really can't effectively "do good," or give, or care for others unless you are loving towards yourself.  I've always thought "self-care" sounded selfish, but now I realize that it is essential.  You have to fill the well before you can offer others something to drink.



Bookmark and Share




Share

1 comment:

  1. Oooooooo - the "social changey" book club sounds like it was amazing! As one of my passions is social entrepreneurship, that sounds like it'd have been right up my alley. Admittedly, I'm never any good at keeping up with book clubs. Perhaps that's just what "community" could help with. ;)

    With reverberations from #reverb10 HQ, cali

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact