Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Unplug and Eat Together March 23-24: National Day of Unplugging 2012

Do you need a break from technology?  Has the thrill of "You've got mail!"  (and a text, and a voice mail, and a Facebook update, and a tweet, and a LinkedIn request) faded?

Here's a great excuse to turn off your phone and computer: The National Day of Unplugging is next week from sundown Friday, March 23 to sundown Saturday, March 24. 

I participated last year, and it was awesome!  I never realized how draining it is to have so many things pulling at my attention. I felt surprisingly relaxed and clear-headed after the 24-hour tech break.

I love that this year The National Day of Unplugging is also sponsoring an Unplug and Eat Together campaign in conjunction with Slow Food USA and Hazon. They're encouraging folks to use some of their unplugged time to eat with friends and family.  Fun! Any excuse to cook and eat sounds good to me! (If you're looking for ideas, check out what we're cooking over at VegCookbook Club).

Will you be taking part in the National Day of Unplugging this year?

How often do you unplug?

Image: Cell Phone Sleeping Bag designed by Jessica Tully. You can buy one here.

3 comments:

  1. I think I will try unplugging for 24 hours. From tv as well. It will be hard, but I think it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! This is something we all need to do. Just take the time to reconnect with your own family. Eat together without being bent down all in your mobile device! I don't think many even realize how unconnected they've become with their family and close friends, all while trying to connect with the nation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it, Carolina, especially if you are gentle with yourself, and allow for slip-ups (:

    I agree, Tinzley. Maybe all dining tables should come with a drawer where you have to put your phone while you eat!

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact