"How do I increase my blog traffic?"
Based on my own experience, and after reading posts about blog traffic by folks like Seth Godin, Darren Rowse of ProBlogger, and others, here is a list of tips I've compiled:
- Post regularly.
- Link to other bloggers in your posts.
- Comment on other blogs.
- Have a blogroll.
- Make it easy to comment. It's ok to have comment moderation, but don't make people register.
- Allow readers to email posts to other people.
- Enable subscription to your rss feed with Feedburner.
- Enable subscription by email with Feedblitz.
- Include images or graphics with every post to catch the reader's eye. Blogs are a visual medium.
- Add your blog URL to your email signature.
- Tell Google you have a blog.
- Tell Technorati you have a blog.
- Write titles with phrases that people are searching for (i.e. How to Bake a Cake).
- Write about current events.
- Ask a question in your title.
- Post a list (i.e. Ten Ways to Frost a Cake).
- Provide a way for people to easily share and bookmark your posts by using something like AddThis or Add to Any.
- Bookmark your posts in del.icio.us, and other social bookmarking services.
- Try writing shorter posts (200-300 words). That's about how many words the average person can read in a minute.
- Leave more space between paragraphs. Use bold subtitles. Catch the reader's eye.
- Participate in memes, blog carnivals and challenges.
- Tags your post with Technorati tags.
- Let ping servers know when you have a new post.
- Interview people who have blogs or email lists, and will post a link to the interview.
- Have guest bloggers post on your blog
- Include videos in your posts.
- Install web analytics tools like SiteMeter, StatCounter and Google Analytics. Look at what kinds of posts get the most traffic. Write more of those!
- Highlight your most popular posts in your sidebar.
- Create a MyBlogLog community.
- Participate in social networks like Facebook and MySpace, as well as niche social networks related to the theme of your blog.
- Participate in online forums and communities.
- List your blog in blog directories.
- Run a contest.
What are your tips for increasing blog traffic?
You can email your question (please keep it to 50 words) about the do-good, or artistic work you are doing, or want to do, to email@example.com. Title your email, "Ask Britt: your question topic." I won't post your name, but I will post your question with my answer, so keep that in mind as you write, if you don't want details in your question to identify you.
Flickr photo credit: Daily Traffic uploaded by Nam Nguyen.