Tuesday, April 26, 2011

5 Fear-busting Tips for When You're Starting Something New

I'm honored that Kristin Noelle of the Trust Tending blog included me as one of the coaches in her post, Interview: 8 coaches you need to meet along with Bridget Pilloud, Chris Zydel, Jamie Ridler, Kate Swoboda, Kendra Thornbury, Tara Gentile and Tara Sophia Mohr.

She asked all of us to answer the question:

What key advice do you think people most need to hear and believe when they’re facing fear at the start of new things?


I've included an excerpt of my answer below:

I’ve always wanted to grow tomatoes, but I've been afraid I’d kill them. Turns out my neighbor wanted to grow tomatoes too, so last weekend we went to the farmers’ market to buy some plants, and learn how to grow them.
Your fears about starting something new may be related to a larger goal than growing tomatoes, but the same 5 tips apply:

1. Educate yourself

The woman we bought the plants from, as well as fellow customers, gave us all kinds of tips about which plants to buy, and how to take care of them.


2. Take small steps
I bought two tomato plants; my neighbor bought one. If they grow well, we’ll plant more.


3. Get a buddy
It was more fun learning about tomatoes with my neighbor than it would have been to do it alone. Plus, we can support each other as our tomatoes grow.


4. Accept that there will be the obstacles
You can read the rest of my answer, and see the adorable illustration Kristin drew of the 8 coaches, on Interview: 8 coaches you need to meet.


Bookmark and Share



Share

2 comments:

  1. So delighted that you joined, Britt! Your words are so practical and profound, both. So grateful for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting me to participate!

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact