Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How to Create a Juicy Blogging Vision Board


One of the most common challenges my juicy blogging clients and students have is that they want more clarity around what to write about on their blog.  Creating a Juicy Blogging Vision Board is a fun and effective way to help you figure out why you're blogging, who you're trying to reach, and what to write about.

How to Create a Juicy Blogging Vision Board

Materials: Magazines you don't mind cutting up, a manila file folder, a glue stick, scissors, a timer, Mod Podge (optional), and a paper grocery bag.

Time: 2-2.5 hours

1. Before you start selecting images, answer the following questions about your blog as best you can:
  • Why am I blogging?  What am I trying to achieve?  What is my blog's purpose?  What would success look like?
  • Who am I trying to reach with my blog?  Who are my ideal readers?
  • What blog post topics would help me achieve my goals, and reach my ideal readers?
2. Keep your answers in mind as you look through your magazines.  Cut out images and words that directly correspond to your answers, as well as ones you're drawn to intuitively.   If you're attracted to an image, or word, but don't know why, don't worry about it.  Just do it. Set a timer for 20-30 minutes; otherwise, you might find yourself looking for the "perfect" image, or word for hours (:

3. Lay your manila folder out flat, and begin to arrange your images.  If you don't have a manila folder, it's OK to use a piece of paper.  I just like how easily a folder stands on a desk, and that you can use it as an actual folder to put notes and ideas in.

Don't feel like you have to use all of the images and words you originally chose.  You'll probably toss some of them out (that's what the paper grocery bag is for). Again, you'll want to set a timer for 45-60 minutes to: a. keep any perfectionism under control, and b. set a completion deadline for yourself.

4. Once you finish, ask yourself a few more questions about your collage:
  • What words, or images stand out?
  • What words, or images surprise me?
  • What additional blog post topic ideas can I add to the list I created in Step 1?
5. Once the glue on your collage dries, you may want seal it with a layer of Mod Podge. I'm partial to Glitter Mod Podge myself (:

I'd love to see your Juicy Blogging Vision Board.  If you post it on your blog, or Flickr, please share your link in the comments.


Come blog with me!
 
Bookmark and Share


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact