1. Email your friends and family.
Ask for e-intros to folks they know in the area.
2. Take a class in something you love.
3. Join a grubwithus dinner.
4. Search your LinkedIn connections by location.
5. Volunteer to help with a nonprofit's event. You can search for organizations in your community on GuideStar, and for volunteer opportunities on VolunteerMatch.
6. Ask your Facebook pals, Twitter peeps, and blog readers for e-intros.
7. Attend a Meetup about one of your interests.
8. Find, or create a Dining for Women group.
9. Meet your neighbors. Ask if there is a neighborhood list serv you can join.
10. Read local blogs for events to attend. You can find them through Patch, Google Blog Search, and the blog rolls of local bloggers.
11. If you work for yourself, research local co-working spaces.
12. Have a yard sale. All *kinds* of people will come out looking for cool finds.
What would you add to the list?