I didn't, until I read about the San Francisco Food Bank's Hunger Challenge.
Last year, 6 food bloggers and recipe developers tried to eat 3 meals on $3 per day during the 2008 San Francisco Food Bank's Hunger Challenge. This year, Hunger Challenge participants will try to eat 3 meals for $4 per day, per person, during the week of September 20-26, 2009.
You can take the Challenge for one day, or for the whole week. To participate, email the San Francisco Food Bank at: HungerChallenge@SFFB.org. (You don't have to be a blogger, or live in the Bay Area to take the Challenge).
If you'd like to learn more about national and global hunger issues, check out the national and international organizations listed below. For a local perspective, peruse the list of food bank blogs. (Hat tip to Tyson Foods Hunger Relief's post Hunger Twitterers).
International and National Hunger Organizations
- Action Against Hunger
- Bread for the World
- Feeding America
- Friends of the World Food Program
- International Food Policy Institute
- MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger
- Share Our Strength
- United Nations World Food Programme
- World Food Prize
- Capital Area Food Bank of Texas
- Food Bank of New York City
- Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Food Bank of Southeastern Virginia
- High Plains Food Bank
- North Texas Food Bank
- San Francisco Food Bank
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
- South Plains Food Bank
- St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance in Phoenix
- White Center Food Bank Blog