Monday, June 27, 2011

Quinoa Puttanesca, Blue Potato and Corn Salad + Zucchini with Parmesan

 Meatless Monday is a nonprofit initiative of The Monday Campaigns.  Their goal is to help reduce meat consumption by 15% to improve personal and planetary health.

This week, I returned to my new favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It's too bad the book doesn't have a sexier title 'cause so many of the recipes are amazing.

Spicy Blue Potato and Corn Salad

This salad is sooooo good, and because it has pinto beans in it, could serve it as a main dish.

I'd never cooked with blue potatoes, or chipotles in adobo sauce before.  The blue potatoes were gorgeous, and when I bought them at the farmers market, another shopper suggested I use them to make mashed potatoes.  How beautiful would that be!

Even though I de-seeded the chipotles in adobo sauce, they were still too spicy for me, so I put them on the side as a condiment, rather in the salad dressing, like the recipe suggested.  That way, everyone could customize their level of spiciness.

You can view this recipe on Google Books.

Isn't the sauce pretty?
Quinoa Puttanesca

I've always loved pasta puttanesca, but I'm not a huge fan of anchovies. This Quinoa Puttanesca recipe is also deee-lish-us, and doesn't have anchovies.  Yay!  Plus, because quinoa has lots of protein, you could eat it as a main dish. I didn't make many changes to the recipe except to use less red pepper flakes.

You can view this recipe on Post Punk Kitchen.

The only differences between this version, and the one in the book is that the one in the book uses:
  • 2 cups of quinoa
  • 2 t of olive oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
Zucchini with Parmesan

I love all of  Ina Garten's veggie side dish recipes.  This one is from Barefoot Contessa Family Style.  The combination of onions, zucchini and parmesan makes it into a yummy, mushy, sweet comforting side dish.

You can view this recipe on Foodnetwork.com.

What delish meatless dishes did you make this week?

All photos are by me (:



Bookmark and Share




Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact