Sunday, January 28, 2007

What Would Ed Do?

Did you know that you can generate enough energy riding your stationary bike to make toast, or that they there are kitchen counter tops made out of recycled glass Coke bottles, or what a solar oven looks like? I do because I watch one of my new favorite shows on Sunday night, Living with Ed on HGTV (Home & Garden Television) 10 PM EST/PST.

For half an hour actor, Ed Begley, Jr., and his wife Rachelle Carson Begley, share how they live a green life, but like many couples, they don't always agree on how it should be done. My favorite episode opens with Ed riding his stationary bike, which is connected to his solar power supply, to generate enough electricity to make toast. After he finishes, his wife says that she is going to drive to the gym and pick up breakfast on the way. Ed says, "Why drive to the gym and breakfast when you can work out on the bike and make toast?"

I'm not a big fan of reality shows, but I love watching this one and actually find myself thinking, "What would Ed do?" when I'm poised over the garbage can or recycling bin, or need to decide what kind of cleaning product to buy. Even though it is a TV show, where I am sure things are scripted, it is fun to see how two people try to live an environmentally sustainable life, and the inevitable challenges that arise.

Sunday nights are always bittersweet with the work week just around the corner, but Living with Ed is like an after dinner mint at the end of a good weekend.

Photo from Living with Ed site.






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact