Friday, March 04, 2011

Jen Louden, Savor and Serve: How I Have Fun, Do Good

The third guest blogger in my Have Fun, Do Good series is Jen Louden.

 Jen Louden is a best-selling author, retreat creator, and Comfort Queen turned activity catalyst. She's just started a one year experiment in savoring and serving the world. Join her at www.jenniferlouden.com and on Twitter at @jenlouden.

Jen Louden, Savor and Serve: How I Have Fun, Do Good
 
After reading my friend Keri Smith's book The Guerilla Art Kit, my 16-year-old daughter Lillian decided it would be delish to write little-bitty love notes and plaster them all over our tiny town. So out came the colored Post-it notes and markers, and we  wrote hundreds of notes saying things like "Do you know how beautiful you are right now?" and "Yes, it will be a better day today" and "You smell good." 

Then we snuck downtown about 9:30 pm (our town goes to bed at 8) and plastered them everywhere - from the side of the bank to the backdoor of the bakery to neighbor's windshields... it was so delightful to wonder what people's reaction would be the next morning.  We heard gossip later about how pleased and mystified people were!

We've done this numerous times and it's taken different forms. This picture is from the "Chalk Art Phase" last summer in which we would write loving messages on chalk - Lilly is the artist, I'm the lookout and embellisher. We wrote a sweetness in front of an office for a friend grieving the death of his child, in front of our doc's office saying thanks for being such a great healer, and loud praise for the librarians at the library. What was truly cool was how long some of the messages lasted - in some cases, weeks!

Since finding cool things to do with your teens can be a challenge (at least for me), consider guerilla art love as your next Savor and Serve project!

If you liked this post, you might also like:


Bookmark and Share




Share

4 comments:

  1. Britt,
    Thank you so much for featuring Jen! What a great idea. I wish I could have seen the faces of the readers. Plus, I think this would be a great idea for kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! I'm so glad you liked the piece. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon Martinelli & Jill Davis (two friends of mine) shared this link on Facebook and I'm delighted to discover your wonderful blog. I've added you to my 'reader' and hope to return often to explore the marvelous links you've provided. I joined Jennifer's Right Brained Business Plan series earlier recently but am behind already because life's busier than I can manage efficiently at the moment. I do keep up with Jen Louden for the most part.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Virginia ~

    Thanks for adding me to your reader. I'll have to try to find your friends and on Facebook and thank them for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact