Monday, November 28, 2011

Meatless Monday: 2 Soups, 1 Salad, 2 Casseroles + Cosmos Apple Pie

Meatless Monday is a nonprofit initiative of The Monday Campaigns. Their goal is to help reduce meat consumption by 15% to improve personal and planetary health.  Each week I share meatless recipes I've tried from cookbooks and online.  You can see past Meatless Monday posts by clicking here.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
― Carl Sagan 

One of the items on my Fun-Do List for Thanksgiving was to try some new recipes, and boy, did I!  I made a soup, a salad, and two casseroles from Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas, baked the most amazing Cosmos Apple Pie with Olive Oil Double Crust from Vegan Pie in the Sky by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, and made a soup from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons, also by Nava Atlas. I hope these photos will inspire your winter holiday menus!


Butternut squash on its way to becoming soup


 Coconut Butternut Squash Soup from Vegan Holiday Kitchen.
Unbelievably delicious. You're in luck 'cause the New York Times published the recipe!


Autumn Harvest Stew from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Yum, yum.  This recipe is available through Google Books.

  
Pistachios ready to roast and toss in salad . . .


Mixed Greens with Green Apples, Beets and Pistachios from Vegan Holiday Kitchen.
I liked this salad.  It has *a lot* of fruits and veggies in it, a few too many for some of my diners!


Ravioli with Sweet Potatoes and Sage from Vegan Holiday Kitchen.
Delish. How can you go wrong with ravioli and sweet potatoes! The hardest part was finding vegan ravioli.  I ended up buying fresh Roasted Butternut and Chestnut Ravioli in Pumpkin Pasta from Market Hall in Oakland. I'd like to make it again with Rising Moon's vegan ravioli.


Hearty Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd's Pie from Vegan Holiday Kitchen. 
 Also yummy, and you're in luck again 'cause Fat Free Vegan Kitchen posted the recipe.


Pretty veggies ready to roast


Veggies roasted. Don't they look like jewels?


Cosmos Apple Pie with Olive Oil Double Crust from Vegan Pie in the Sky ready to bake.  This is only the 4th pie I've ever made (see my Old Fashioned Chocolate Pudding Pie with a Graham Cracker Crust), so I'm proud of how it turned out: pretty and delicious!


It's not burned, that's cinnamon and sugar baked into the top!


Slice for day after Thanksgiving breakfast!


*************


What yummy meatless dishes did you make last week?

Full disclosure: The cookbooks I linked to are attached to my Amazon Associates account, which means that if you buy anything after clicking on the link, I get a percentage of the sale.  I received review copies of Vegan Holiday Kitchen and Vegan Pie in the Sky.


Bookmark and Share 
 
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact