Thursday, November 03, 2011

What is Your Symbol of Hope?

My social changey book club is reading Jane Goodall's, Hope for the Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink.

In the introduction, Goodall writes:

"[E]vidence is mounting of a sixth extinction--this time caused by human actions.  To keep up my spirits when I was tired and things seemed extra-bleak, I made a collection of what I call my 'symbols of hope.'"

One of her symbols is a feather from a California condor, a species which was rescued from extinction.





California Condor photo by Marlin Harms




 I'd say one of my symbols of hope is the hummingbird.

Hummingbird photo by hart_curt


What are your symbols of hope during these challenging times?

Rays in the fog by geodesic

New Moon by Paul Tomlin
Cocoon by Randy Read
Butterfly by me
Sprout in stone wall by me
Daffodil Trio by Marissa Bracke

Full disclosure: The Jane Goodall book I linked to is attached to my Amazon Associates account, which means that if you buy anything after clicking on the link, I get a percentage of the sale.

Bookmark and Share

Share

5 comments:

  1. I love this post, Britt.

    I'm going to go with the ivory-billed woodpecker. There's enough tantalizing evidence that a bird we believed to be extinct may still be with us that people are engaging in habitat protection and remediation... even though that evidence is still far from conclusive.

    That to me is the essence of hope in uncertain times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! I love your photo of the sprout in the stone wall. My symbol of hope is the shine in my daughters' eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your symbols of hope, Rob & Wend (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:50 PM

    I love the idea of this book club! I'm not much of a reader, but this is great! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Danielle
    http://www.cause-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, Danielle. You should start your own. It's fun, and great support for books that can be challenging to read because the content is intense (e.g. Half the Sky).

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact