Desiree is a consultant, strategist, coach, storyteller and explorer. She uses her superpowers-her voice, sense of adventure and belief in the transformative power of community-to help organizations design programs that create unrestricted revenue, volunteers and advocates.
You can find out more about her at www.desireeadaway.com, or follow her on Twitter at @desireeadaway.
Desiree Adaway, Global Service and Leadership: How I Have Fun, Do Good
How do I have fun and do “good”?
Most days I talk to organizations about volunteer management and the creation of volunteer programs. It’s what I love.
Despite having this be my business, it is still my passion. Every year I commit to leading a global volunteer trip. It keeps me in touch with why I do this work. It’s a way for me to walk my walk and put my faith into action. It’s a great combination of all the things I love and adore—good food, good people-community-culture-travel – and fun!
During the day we move bricks, dig ditches, sift sand and mix mortar. Extremely. Hard. Work.
Yet, these trips are not only about the work. Some of my greatest memories are off the worksite. I have danced with an entire village in Ghana. I have watched Buddhist monks pray at Ta Prohm in Cambodia. I have watched the sun set as I sailed the Nile on a felucca.
|Ta Prohm Temple, Angkor, Cambodia|
Seriously awesome, right? Yet it goes deeper than an exotic location.
Service for me is HOLY. Unselfish compassion and love for another human being is beautiful, and it’s my religion. My personal problems, pain, issues and petty worries are swept away as virtual strangers come together to build community. There is joy on the work site and prayers of love lifted as houses are created. I see life and humanity at its best. Strangers laugh, and talk, connect and encourage.
Community is powerful.
I am always proud of what we achieve, proud to be a part of something bigger than my everyday existence. The communities are my church and every day is Sunday.
|Dancing in Ghana|
If you liked this post, you might also like:
- How to Find Your Have Fun, Do Good
- Zen Peacekeeper, Marianne Elliott, Shares How She Has Fun, Does Good
- Leonie Allan of Goddess Guidebook Shares How She Has Fun, Does Good
- Amy Potthast, Idealist.org: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Amy Sample Ward, Community Builder and NPtechie: How I Have Fun and Do Good
- Jennifer Moore, Monaluna Designs: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Elisa Camahort Page, BlogHer: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Allison Jones, Millennial Leader: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Beth Terry, Fake Plastic Fish: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Katya Andresen, Network for Good: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Kimberly Wilson, Tranquility du Jour: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Lisa Sonora Beam, The Creative Entrepreneur: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Heather Meyer, Work it Out!: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- 7 Ways to Have Fun and Do Good
- Jennifer Lee, Right-Brain Business Plan: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Wendy Harman, Social Media Maven: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Tara Sophia Mohr, Wise Living: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Jen Louden, Savor and Serve: How I Have Fun, Do Good
- Emily Goligoski, The SanFranista: How I Have Fun, Do Good