Friday, June 16, 2006

Do Good and Eat Yum!

Last weekend I went to my second Dining for Women dinner--a group of women get together for dinner, learn about an organization's work with women and children in impoverished countries, and pool their collected funds to make a donation. At this dinner we raised $850 for Growth Through Learning, an educational scholarship program for women and children in East Africa.

I enjoy these dinners because I get see friends, be a part of a group of women who are making a difference, and eat cake. I love cake.

One of the women made this amazing Whipped Cream Pound cake. It was so good I found the recipe online that night on Anna's Cookie Madness blog and made it the next day. It is from Richard Sax's Classic Home Desserts and the recipe is on this page. Just scroll down to the January 16th post.

In other Have Fun Eat Yum news, I found an article via Cupcakes Take the Cake (a blog by and for three cupcake-loving women) about Alysia Angel and Krista Theiss' Cupcakes Against Domestic Violence fundraiser for an Olympia, WA nonprofit, SafePlace. The couple raised over $600.

I guess you can have your cake and eat it too.

image via Flickr






2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:28 PM

    Hi Britt:

    I was looking at their list of organizations and the Sharing Foundation would be a great fit. Do you know how the organization's are selected or who to talk to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth,

    I don't have any personal contacts there. Our group just gets the info. from them each month about who they are funding. This page says their criteria for choosing the orgs they do and this page has their contact info. It strikes me as being a small administrative office. You might want to contact the founder, Marsha Wallace. Sorry I can't be of more help!

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact