Monday, September 12, 2011

Meatless Monday: Hummus, Falafel + How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

Meatless Monday is a nonprofit initiative of The Monday Campaigns. Their goal is to help reduce meat consumption by 15% to improve personal and planetary health.  Each week I share meatless recipes I've tried from cookbooks and online.  You can see past Meatless Monday posts by clicking here.


This week I created a "pita bar" that included the Baked Falafel recipe (which you can see on the Mom's Own Words blog) from Appetite from Reduction, and the hummus recipe from The Moosewood Cookbook.  The falafel was super yummy, but sadly the hummus recipe wasn't as delicious as I remembered.  I think I added too many green onions.  Luckily, the hubs had a good idea.  He added a little water to the hummus to make a sauce that we poured over our sandwiches.  It was tasty, but made our pitas a little soggy soooo . . .


the next day I bought some lavash to wrap our leftover falafels in, and made the hummus recipe (photo above) from Appetite for Reduction, which was delish, but very garlicky.  I might use a little less garlic next time.  You can view the recipe on Google Books.

I'd definitely make both recipes again.  They were tasty, fun to eat, and good leftovers.


Last May, you shared 19 vegetarian and vegan cookbook recommendations.  One popular suggestion was How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman.  Lucky me, I received a copy for my birthday from my friend, Elizabeth. I'm excited to start cooking from it, but am intimidated by its size (1008 pages!).  If you've tried any of the recipes, please share your recommendations.  Big thanks in advance!

Bookmark and Share



Share

5 comments:

  1. I have to recommend the Hummus recipe from How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-Free Diet, by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. It is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! I have that cookbook so I can make it soon (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I love the hummus from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas. So simple, I can put it here:

    1 16-oz can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
    1/3 cup tahini
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 garlic clove, crushed (sometimes I use two)
    salt + pepper to taste (a good half tsp salt or so)

    Blend it all with 1/4 to 1/3 c water. Voila! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wend,

    That recipe sounds yummy! I'll have to try it and put that cookbook on my Amazon wish list. I'm a big Nava Atlas fan. I love her soup cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth von Büdingen9:51 AM

    I can't wait to hear which recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact