Monday, September 05, 2011

Meatless Monday: Tortilla Soup, Vegan Mac n' Cheese, and Supergreen Bowl with Green Goddess Garlic Dressing

Meatless Monday is a nonprofit initiative of The Monday Campaigns. Their goal is to help reduce meat consumption by 15% to improve personal and planetary health.  Each week I share meatless recipes I've tried from cookbooks and online.  You can see my past Meatless Monday posts by clicking here.


This was my first Tortilla Soup, and it turned out quite delish.  I used the recipe from Appetite for Reduction, which you can see on the blog, Oops, I ate too much . . .  I used a green pepper, rather than a poblano pepper, and omitted the 2 jalapeƱos.  It was spicy enough for us with the 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes!


When I saw this recipe on VegNews.com for Vegan Macaroni and Cheese, I knew it would be good because:
  1. It doesn't use nutritional yeast, which I like, but is definitely not something you can serve to everyone. 
  2. It has 115 mostly positive comments.  
  3. It was liked on Facebook 1,000 times!
All the reviews were right.  It was very, very delicious.  You could definitely serve this to anyone, and they'd like it. Yum, yum, yum.


The Supergreen Bowl with Green Goddess Garlic Dressing from Appetite for Reduction was also tasty.  You basically serve steamed kale, broccoli and edamame over quinoa with a delicious sauce. This is not something you could serve to everyone, just 'cause it does feel very "healthy."  Also, the Green Goddess Garlic Dressing is very garlicky so this is not a good dish for a first date! 

I would definitely make it again, and would like to try some of the other "bowl" and sauce combinations in the book. You can view the dressing recipe on Google Books.

What yummy meatless dishes did you make last week, or do you want to make this week?
 
Bookmark and Share



Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact