Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rachelle Mee-Chapman: Making Time for What Matters

Today's post is the third in my guest post series: Making Time for What Matters.  Be sure to read the pieces by Emily McKhann and Peter Deitz too!

Rachelle Mee-Chapman is a classically trained theologian with a rebellious soul. Formerly ordained as an evangelical minister, this religious misfit now helps people create right-fit spiritual practices regardless of their creed (or a lack thereof!) Learn more about her approach to customized soulcare at Magpie Girl: care for creative souls. You can follow her on Twitter at @magpiegirl

In my urban setting, it does not make financial sense to plant a vegetable garden. Not one whit.

The organic seeds and starts cost more than what I save by buying less produce. The four jars of beans I managed to put up will be gone before winter even starts. And the $12 worth of seed potatoes I bought last spring made just one batch of potato salad this fall.

So why do I do it?

Because my 12 year old made that potato salad and the look of pride on her face was fan-freaking-tastic, that’s why.

Because every day at 3pm when I feel like I’m getting nowhere with my career, I can go into the backyard and see, with my own eyes, that things in my life are, in fact, growing.

Because watering from the rain-catch barrel makes me feel virtuous. 


Because the puppy digs gleefully in the compost pile while I weed the raised beds.  

Because the 21 year old’s room smells like basil and tomatoes as the vines creep though his window.

Because every year, in just-spring, my youngest daughter ties a ribbon to our first fruits, and we are filled with gratitude.

You can
make time for what matters most. Not what makes the most financial sense. Or what is most time-efficient. Or what seems logical. But what matters.

Listen, what I want to tell you is this.  Creating something beautiful rarely makes practical sense. The hours you pour into your tomatoes will not be made up in grocery store savings. Knitting the baby present for your best friend will cost WAY more than buying a cute sweater at Target. Driving to your niece’s first day of kindergarten won’t make you three billable hours’ worth of income.

And yet, these things will bear tremendous fruits.

Pride. Gratitude. Nourishment. Joy. Beauty.

(So totally worth it.)

**************************************

How do you make time for what matters?

 
Bookmark and Share


Share

2 comments:

  1. Love this...and so true. I live in an apartment with no space for gardening. Yet I, like you, love my few little plants and herbs for how they make me feel. It gives me a feeling of peace to go out and do what matters to me. I even have a worm compost bin. Haven't yet figured out what to do with the dirt! But it just feels good to do good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I personally have an extremely black thumb but it doesn't stop me from trying every year. i think taking time for what matters just takes a conscious effort to turn off the tv or commuter, to stop working at quitting time to be with the kids, things like that. thank you for this post. its a great reminder to do what matters.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact